Artist Calls - Live Worms Gallery
“Salon Des Refusés”
A Group Show inspired by the original ‘Salon Des Refusés’ featuring artwork by artists who were NOT selected to exhibit in the ‘De Young Open’, the museums unprecedented nod to local artists in celebration of their 125th anniversary. The original ‘Salon des Refusés’, French for "exhibition of rejects", is generally known as an exhibition of works rejected by the jury of the annual ‘Paris Salon’, and is commonly used in reference to the ‘Salon des Refusés’ of 1863 when, of the 5,000 paintings submitted to the ‘Paris Salon’, a mere 2,217 were accepted….the Emperor himself okayed the ‘Salon des Refuses’ to appease the angry artists. At this time, with 6190 artists having submitted and just 762 accepted, our own pool of ‘De Young Open’ refusés numbers 5428 – a well justified number to go ahead and celebrate ourselves!
Late November thru Mid December (tentatively Nov. 20-Dec. 13 - exact dates TBD)
- One piece by each artist - Ideally the piece originally submitted but not required (I know several artists who’ve since sold these pieces)
- Some size restrictions – 4x4’ maximum (no more than five of these…?... or so, as to not overwhelm the space)
- Participation fee is by size*:
(1) 16” square inch and below = $20
(2) 17” to 32” square inch = $30
(3) 33” to 48” square inch = $40
- Gallery Percentage: 25% of purchase price
The exact number of artists will vary – though there is/will be deadlines, not knowing the size of submissions means the show(s) may fill before deadline.
Additional info will be provided to interested artists
Look forward to hearing from you – feel free to share this call with those you think may be interested.
Thank you –
Regards ~ Elizabeth Ashcroft, Live Worms Gallery Proprietor
*Show fees can be remitted via Venmo (elizabeth-ashcroft-2), PayPal (415-263-8959), credit card (Square), check, cash.